Education and Public Programs Coordinator, Part Time
The Norton Simon Museum seeks an Education and Public Programs Coordinator to assist with the running of the Museum’s Education and Public Programs department. Centered on the Museum’s outstanding art collection, our educational programs are designed to foster the imagination; build a deep understanding of human creativity and expression; and serve children and their families, students and teachers, lifelong learners and people with different abilities. The ideal candidate possesses a passion for the arts and a positive, collaborative and creative approach to their work. This part-time position reports to the Head of Education and Public Programs and works alongside a team of paid Museum Educators.
- Coordinates education-related events for students and adults; answers teacher requests; schedules and guides tours; assembles student preparatory packets
- Takes reservations and maintains supply inventory for art history and drawing classes
- Assists in organizing, designing and staffing children and family programs, Family Festivals, children, teen and adult drawing classes, workshops, tours, lectures and performances
- Assists in the management of budgets, contracts and reports for various stakeholders
- Keeps abreast of changes in our galleries and special exhibitions, and relays these developments to the Museum Educators responsible for touring
- At least 2 years of experience teaching and touring adults and K-12 students. Knowledge of formal and informal education practices is important
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong organizational abilities and the capacity to coordinate numerous projects simultaneously
- Proven ability to engage with a variety of technology tools and platforms
- A degree in art history, art education, museum education, or a related field is required. Foreign language skills are desirable
This position requires some moderate lifting, stretching, reaching, bending and occasional long periods of standing.
Schedule and Compensation:
This is a part-time, non-exempt position of up to 29 hours/week, with occasional weekend and evening hours expected. The hourly rate is commensurate with experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Norton Simon Entities* provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. The Norton Simon Entities do not unlawfully discriminate or tolerate harassment on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age for individuals over forty years of age, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. The Norton Simon Entities make reasonable accommodations for disabled applicants and employees. This policy applies to all areas of employment including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfer, and social and recreational programs.
The Norton Simon Entities are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion in its workforce.
*The Norton Simon Entities are composed of the following: Norton Simon Museum of Art at Pasadena and the Norton Simon Art Foundation. Employment may be with either, or both, of these entities.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to:
Norton Simon Museum of Art
411 West Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91105
or [email protected]
No phone calls please.
Employment is contingent upon proof of legal status to work in the United States.