Membership and External Affairs Assistant, Part Time
The Norton Simon Museum is known around the world as one of the most remarkable private art collections ever assembled. Over a thirty-year period industrialist Norton Simon (1907–1993) amassed an exquisite collection of European art from the Renaissance to the 20th century and South and Southeast Asian art spanning 2,000 years. Approximately 1,000 works from the permanent collection of 12,000 objects are on view in the Norton Simon Museum’s galleries and sculpture garden throughout the year.
The Museum is located in beautiful Pasadena, California, just steps from the bustling Old Pasadena district known for its shops and restaurants, and adjacent to the vibrant neighborhoods of northeast Los Angeles, Glendale and South Pasadena. Easily accessible by public transportation, the Museum also offers its employees free parking, as well as free admission to the Museum anytime, and discounts in the store and café.
The Norton Simon Museum seeks a part-time Membership and External Affairs Assistant. This position serves as a representative of the Museum and works with the visiting public. In addition to the administrative responsibilities of properly acquiring and processing memberships, this position deals directly with patrons— answering questions about the membership program, the Museum and its programs, and providing a welcoming and informative experience.
The ideal candidate possesses strong customer service and computer skills. The schedule comprises four days and up to 29 hours per week. Weekend hours and evening shifts are required. This position reports to the Senior Manager, Public Programs & External Affairs and is part of the Museum’s External Affairs Department, which focuses on audience development and experience.
- Greeting visitors to the Museum and engaging with visitors on the benefits of membership
- Checking in members upon arrival
- Providing excellent customer services to all visiting patrons
- Helping members via the phone, email and in person
- Selling new and renewing memberships to members
- Processing new, renewing and gift memberships
- Assisting with administrative duties for membership program
- Liaising with front-house staff
- Assisting with Museum events, including event check-in and set-up
- Staying informed of Museum’s collection, special exhibitions, programs and policies
- Performing other duties or special projects as assigned
- Representing Museum with professionalism
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Two years of customer service experience required; museum membership experience preferred
- One year of office experience preferred
- Strong computer skills required. Database experience preferred
- Strong organizational and communication skills required
- Strong attention to detail required
- Ability to function effectively as team member and a willingness to participate in activities and assignments that help meet the goals of and objectives of the department
Hours: Around 26–29 hours per week
The position pays $17.25 an hour.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Norton Simon Entities* provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. The Norton Simon Entities do not unlawfully discriminate or tolerate harassment on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age for individuals over forty years of age, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. The Norton Simon Entities make reasonable accommodations for disabled applicants and employees. This policy applies to all areas of employment including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfer, and social and recreational programs.
The Norton Simon Entities are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion in its workforce.
*The Norton Simon Entities are composed of the following: Norton Simon Museum of Art at Pasadena and the Norton Simon Art Foundation. Employment may be with either, or both, of these entities.
Interested applicants should send cover letter and resume to:
Email: [email protected]
Subject Line: Membership and External Affairs Assistant
No phone calls please. Due to volume of resumes received, we will not be able to acknowledge receipt of resumes.
Employment is contingent upon proof of legal status to work in the United States.