Curatorial, Preparator, Part Time
Reporting to the Conservator, this part-time position is responsible for the safe and careful handling of art objects.
- Assists with the safe and careful handling of art objects
- Construction, fabrication, installation and disassembly of exhibitions
- Performs maintenance of permanent collection, which includes lighting, dusting and painting galleries, as well as outdoor sculpture maintenance
- Assists in preparations for artwork to travel and for storage, which includes building crates, supports and enclosures, as well as packing
- Assists in receiving and unpacking artwork
- Assists with photographing and technical imaging of art objects
- Assists with special projects as needed
- Excellent judgment and attention to detail
- Demonstrated competence in handling and installing works of art
- Construction and finish carpentry skills are required; knowledge of mount making is a plus
- Ability to work well in a team
Must be able to operate manually controlled equipment, mechanical and electrical tools, lift equipment and perform heavy manual lifting (75 lbs.). Position requires excellent manual dexterity and visual acuity, long hours of standing, ability to perform lifting, bending, stretching, reaching, and moving objects.
Work schedule is Monday through Friday, with flexible hours, depending on events. This position will be scheduled to work up to 29 hours per week.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Norton Simon Entities* provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. The Norton Simon Entities do not unlawfully discriminate or tolerate harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, reproductive health decisionmaking, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, age (forty years of age and over), sexual orientation, military and veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation. The Norton Simon Entities make reasonable accommodations for disabled applicants and employees and for religious observances and practices. This policy applies to all areas of employment including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, termination, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfer, and social and recreational programs.
The Norton Simon Entities are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion in its workforce.
*The Norton Simon Entities are composed of the following: Norton Simon Museum of Art at Pasadena and the Norton Simon Art Foundation. Employment may be with either, or both, of these entities.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send resume attention to:
John Griswold, Conservator
Norton Simon Museum of Art
411 West Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91105
No phone calls please.
Employment is contingent upon proof of legal status to work in the United States.