Preparator, Part Time
Reporting to the Conservator, this part-time position is responsible for the safe and careful handling of art objects. Preference will be given to candidates with excellent construction and finish carpentry skills, as well as mountmaking experience.
- Excellent judgment and attention to detail
- Demonstrated competence in handling and installing works of art
- Construction and finish carpentry skills are required; knowledge of mount making is a plus
- Must be able to operate manually controlled equipment, mechanical and electrical tools, lift equipment and perform heavy manual lifting (75 lbs.)
- Excellent manual dexterity and visual acuity, long hours of standing, ability to perform lifting, bending, stretching, reaching and moving objects
- Ability to work well in a team
Major Job Responsibilities
- Assists with the safe and careful handling of art objects
- Construction, fabrication, installation and disassembly of exhibitions
- Performs maintenance of permanent collection, which includes lighting, dusting and painting galleries
- Assists in preparations for artwork to travel, which includes building crates and packing
- Assists in receiving and unpacking artwork
- Assists with photographing and x-raying of art objects
- Assists with special projects as needed
This position will be scheduled to work up to 29 hours per week.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Norton Simon Entities* provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. The Norton Simon Entities do not unlawfully discriminate or tolerate harassment on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age for individuals over forty years of age, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. The Norton Simon Entities make reasonable accommodations for disabled applicants and employees. This policy applies to all areas of employment including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfer, and social and recreational programs.
The Norton Simon Entities are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion in its workforce.
*The Norton Simon Entities are composed of the following: Norton Simon Museum of Art at Pasadena and the Norton Simon Art Foundation. Employment may be with either, or both, of these entities.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send resume attention to:
John Griswold, Conservator
Norton Simon Museum of Art
411 West Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91105
No phone calls please.
Employment is contingent upon proof of legal status to work in the United States.