Saint Christopher with the Child and Sts. Anthony, Catherine and Lucy
- Luca Spinello Aretino (Italian, c.1350-1410)
- late 14th century
- Tempera and gold leaf on panel
- 8 x 13-1/4 in. (20.3 x 33.7 cm)
- Credit Line:
- The Norton Simon Foundation
- Accession Number:
- © The Norton Simon Foundation
A native of Arezzo in the region of Tuscany, Spinello was likely born in the mid-fourteenth century. He is recorded as working in Lucca, Pisa and Siena in addition to his birthplace, and the fact that he received numerous commissions shows that his artistic skills were clearly valued. In Florence he worked on an important polyptych for the Church of Santa Felicità, one of the oldest early Christian churches in the city.
Spinello’s characterization of each of the four saints here is both lively and specific to their personalities. The striding motion of Christopher, patron saint of travelers, who digs his staff into a stream—cleverly indicated by flowing lines of white pigment—conveys a physicality distinct from the self-contained and static pose of the elderly Anthony the Abbot, the founder of monasticism. A similar individualization characterizes the two female saints: Catherine, who stands on a wheel, the symbol of her martyrdom, and the martyred Lucy, whose name means “light.”
Otto H. Kahn (d. 1924), New York.
Walter S. Coyne.
Marriott Trust, New Jersey, sold 27 March 1961 to;
[Duveen Bros., New York, stock no. 30373, sold 1965 to];
The Norton Simon Foundation.
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via email. Requests can also be made by fax or mail.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.
|Telephone:||(626) 449-6840 x 3300|