Though a regular subscriber and a steady presence at the ballet, Degas seems to have taken less interest in the theater; dancers, not actresses, were his great subject. But this scene of an actress in her dressing room suggests that elaborate backstage artifice of all kinds exerted a pull on the painter’s imagination. Costumed for a seventeenth-century period drama, the actress takes a last appraising look in the mirror. The cramped space and lurid gaslight turn her reflection into a mask of grease paint. Like Women Ironing and Dancers in the Rotunda at the Paris Opéra, this picture was likely begun in the 1870s and reworked years later, perhaps as late as 1905, when Degas had absorbed the influence of a younger artist, the radical colorist Paul Gauguin.
- Artist Name: Edgar Degas (French, 1834-1917)
- Title: Actress in Her Dressing Room
- Date: c. 1875-1880 and c. 1895-1905
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dimensions: 33-5/8 x 29-3/4 in. (85.4 x 75.6 cm)
- Credit Line: The Norton Simon Foundation
- Accession Number: F.1972.03.P
- Copyright: © The Norton Simon Foundation
Mark Oliver, London; sold 1936 to;
[Alex. Reid & Lefevre, Ltd., London; stock no. 178/36; sold 21 July 1936 to];
Mrs. Gilbert Russell, Mottisfont Abbey, Romsey, Hampshire, England; consigned 6 April 1964 to;
[Arthur Tooth & Sons, Ltd., London; stock no. 4602; sold 8 June 1964 to];
Norton Simon, Los Angeles (sale, New York, Parke-Bernet, 5 May 1971, lot 33, ill., as L’Actrice dans sa loge, to);
Michael F. Drinkhouse, New York.
[Stephen Hahn, New York, sold, as Femme à sa toilet [sic], 20 January 1972 to];
The Norton Simon Foundation.
Corot to Cézanne
- London, Alex. Reid and Lefevre, Ltd., 1936-06 to
- Lemoisne, Paul-André, Degas et son oeuvre,no. 516 p. 287
- Sutton, Denys, Edgar Degas: Life and Work,no. 213 p. 228, 229
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 152
- Vollard, Ambroise, Degas: Quatre-vignt-dix-huit reproductions signées par Degas (Peintures, pastels, dessins et estampes),pl. LXXVII
- Campbell, Sara et al., Degas in the Norton Simon Museum,2009, Fig. 8 p. 115
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 221 p. 272
Additional Artwork by Artist
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.