This modern pine-paneled room belonged to a country house in Normandy rented by Lucie and Jos Hessel in the summer of 1910. Madame Hessel was Vuillard’s most frequent model at the time; Monsieur Hessel was the artist’s primary dealer. Vuillard was on terms of intimate friendship with his patrons in the Parisian Jewish haute bourgeoisie, often painting them in relaxed domestic surroundings. Unmarried and childless, he was especially fascinated by the intergenerational relationships in and between such families. The little girl pictured here in red is Denise Natanson, the youngest member of the Natanson clan, Vuillard’s first patrons and close friends. Her companion is Marcelle Aron, a cousin of the Hessels.
- Artist Name: Édouard Vuillard (French, 1868-1940)
- Title: The Pitch Pine Room (formerly Denise Natanson and Marcelle Aron in the Summer House at Villerville, Normandy)
- Date: Summer 1910
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dimensions: 18-1/4 x 25-3/8 in. (46.4 x 64.4 cm)
- Credit Line: The Norton Simon Foundation
- Accession Number: F.1983.01.P
- Copyright: © The Norton Simon Foundation
[Bernheim-Jeune, Paris (stock no. 18352), sold 13 January 1911 to];
[Léonce Rosenberg, Paris, to];
[Galerie Alfred Daber, Paris, to];
[Sam Salz, Inc., New York, to];
Edward G. Robinson (1893-1973), Los Angeles by 1956, by inheritance to;
Jane Bodenheimer Adler (Mrs. Edward G.) Robinson, Los Angeles (sale, London, Christie's 17 May 1983, lot 32, ill., as Denise Natanson et Marcelle Aron au pavillion à Villerville, Normandie, to);
The Norton Simon Foundation.
- Salomon, Antoine; and Cogeval, Guy, Edouard Vuillard Catalogue Raisonne: Paintings and Pastels,fig. VIII-372 p. 996
- Brettell, Richard R. and Stephen F. Eisenman, Nineteenth-Century Art in the Norton Simon Museum, volume 1,2006,
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 1702 p. 437
- The French Impressionists in Southern California: Paintings, Sculptures and Prints in Public Collections. A Guide Book and Catalogue,
- Robinson, Jane, Edward J. Robinson's World of Art, pp. 46-47
- California Palace of the Legion of Honor Bulletin,no. 72
Additional Artwork by Artist
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.