Draped Reclining Woman
- Henry Moore (English, 1898-1986)
- Bronze, Edition of 7, Cast No. 0/6
- 55 x 87 x 45 in. (139.7 x 221.0 x 114.3 cm)
- Credit Line:
- Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number:
- © The Henry Moore Foundation. All Rights Reserved, DACS 2016 / www.henry-moore.org Reproduction, including downloading of Moore works is prohibited by copyright laws and international conventions without the express written permission of Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
Henry Moore was the son of an English coal miner in Yorkshire. Entering art school at the end of his service in World War I, Moore developed under the influence of modern and ancient sculptural traditions, especially figures of pre-Columbian Mexico and African masks. His mature style emerged during the 1930s as a dynamic synthesis of abstract and surrealist dimensions. At this time, he wrote, "Beauty, in the later Greek or Renaissance sense, is not the aim in my sculpture. Between beauty of expression and power of expression there is a difference of function. The first aims at pleasing the senses, the second has a spiritual vitality which for me is more moving."
Mrs. Henry Moore, Hoglands Perry Green, Much Hadam, Herts, England;
[Jeffrey H. Loria and Co., Inc, New York, sold 1971-11-08 to];
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via email. Requests can also be made by fax or mail.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.
Please fill our our Online Reproduction Request Form.
|Telephone:||(626) 449-6840 x 3300|