- Lorenzo Monaco (Italian, c.1370-1425)
- c. 1410-15
- Tempera and gold leaf on panel
- 31-5/8 x 17-1/2 in. (80.3 x 44.5 cm)
- Credit Line:
- Norton Simon Art Foundation, Gift of Mr. Norton Simon
- Accession Number:
- © Norton Simon Art Foundation
The Virgin Mary’s quiet moment of devotional reading is interrupted by the startling revelation that she has been chosen to be the mother of Christ. Originally, a flanking panel depicted the Angel Gabriel announcing the message. Even in the absence of her counterpart, the Virgin’s carefully measured gesture and attentive, modest pose communicate her marvel. Her graceful form fills the panel, following the late-medieval tradition of placing the important figure close to the picture plane. Lorenzo delighted in depicting the brilliant blue of her drapery—highlighted with yellow, pink and green—and the rhythmic patterns created by its fall. The painter’s expertise as a book illuminator informs his attention to the decorative character of the details, from the embroidery of her garments to the punchwork in her halo.
Lorenzo’s spiritual calling as a Camaldolese monk certainly informed his work as an artist, and the serene, mystical quality of this Virgin Annunciate is in tenor with the panel’s religious and liturgical function. It likely belonged to an altarpiece dedicated to the Virgin that was commissioned for the church of San Benedetto fuori della Porta a Pinti in Florence. Major surviving portions are in the National Gallery, London.
Presumably entire high altarpiece commissioned by Luca di Piero di Rinieri Berri for the Camaldolese Monastery of San Benedetto fuori Porta Pinti, Florence, ca. 1407-1409;
Presumably moved to the Alberti Chapel in Santa Maria degli Angeli, Florence, ca. 1529, when S. Benedetto was destroyed and the monks moved to S. M. degli Angeli.
[Stefano Bardini, Florence, sold 1894 to];
The Prince of Liechtenstein, Mödling, Austria, still in collection 1948, sold to;.
[Thos. Agnew & Sons, London, stock no. 246, Knoedler's, stock no. A7056, & Pinakos, 1/3 ownership each; sold by Agnew on 12 December 1962 to];
Norton Simon, gift 1973 to;
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via email. Requests can also be made by fax or mail.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.
|Telephone:||(626) 449-6840 x 3300|