Saint Ignatius of Loyola
- Peter Paul Rubens (Flemish, 1577-1640)
- c. 1620-22
- Oil on canvas
- 88 x 54-1/2 in. (223.5 x 138.4 cm)
- Credit Line:
- Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number:
- © Norton Simon Art Foundation
Among Rubens’ works devoted to religious subjects, the representation of saints plays an important role. Rubens created an artistic language fully adapted to the Counter-Reformation movement, which stressed the heroic, emotional and ascetic aspects of the saints’ lives. This depiction of St. Ignatius of Loyola was painted for the mother church of the Jesuit order in Rome, Il Gesù.
The founder of the Jesuits wears a brocaded chasuble and gazes ecstatically to the viewer’s right, where beams of heavenly light break through the clouds. His right hand is raised in a gesture of admonition; his left hand holds a copy of the Constitutions of the Society of Jesus, with a page open to their famous motto: “To the greater glory of God.” Ignatius, painted to be seen from below, is presented as a Christian hero, full of Baroque sentiment designed to strengthen worshippers in their belief and spur them to emulation.
Il Gesu (Church of the Jesuits), Rome, until the late seventeenth century.
The Jesuit Church, Brussels (sale, Brussels, Lannoy, 12 May 1777, lot 2, sold to);
George Greville, 2nd Earl of Brooke and Warwick, by 1798.
By descent to Charles Guy Fulke Greville (1911-1984) 7th Earl of Warwick, Warwick Castle sale, (Sotheby's, London, 11 Dec. 1974, lot 36);
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via email. Requests can also be made by fax or mail.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.
|Telephone:||(626) 449-6840 x 3300|