The elements of Braque's style of the 1920s are based on a return to more natural appearances, but he has retained many of the inventions of Cubism. Textures continue to have the same harmonious interrelation; thin washes contrast with sandy areas, scratched wood grain, or thick, irregular overpaint. Objects still do not possess a feeling of sculptural roundness, and the surrounding space is presented as overlapping planes.
- Artist Name: Georges Braque (French, 1882-1963)
- Title: Pitcher, Score, Fruits and Napkin
- Date: 1926
- Medium: Oil and sand on canvas
- Dimensions: 14-1/2 x 47-1/4 in. (36.8 x 120.0cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number: M.1977.15.1.P
- Copyright: © 2017 Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / ADAGP, Paris Reproduction, including downloading of ARS works is prohibited by copyright laws and international conventions without the express written permission of Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
Paul Rosenberg, Paris (for dining room of home) and New York (1940 and after), stock no. 1367, (sale, London, Christie’s, 28 June 1977, lot 57, color ill., as Cruche, Partition, Fruits et Serviette, to);
[Somerville and Simpson, Ltd., London, on behalf of];
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
Georges Braque 1882-1963, an American Tribute: The Twenties
- New York, Perls Galleries, 1964-04-07 to 1964-05-02
- Mangin, N. S., Catalogue de l'oeuvre de Georges Braque, Peintures, 1924-27, p. 83
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 187
- Richardson, John, Georges Braque 1882-1963, an American Tribute: The Twenties,no. 21, as Pitcher, Fruit and Napkin ("La Valse")
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 1427 p. 405
- Valsecchi, M; and M. Carra, L'Opera completa di Braque dalla compisizione cubista al recupero dell'oggetto 1908-1929,no. 311 p. 100
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.