- Jan van der Heyden (Dutch, 1637-1712)
- c. 1670
- Oil on panel
- 13-7/8 x 16-3/8 in. (35.2 x 41.6 cm)
- Credit Line:
- Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number:
- © Norton Simon Art Foundation
Van der Heyden specialized in highly detailed architectural paintings. While many of his urban scenes are topographically accurate, others are fabrications that place identifiable buildings into invented settings, or renderings of architectural fantasies. Van der Heyden was active primarily in Amsterdam, where he took more than a pictorial interest in the city. He organized street lighting, was a member of the fire brigade and is said to have invented the fire hose.
Pieter van Winter (1745-1807), Amsterdam, by descent in 1807 to his daughter;
Anna Louisa Agatha (Annewies) van Loon-Van Winter (1793-1877), collection was sold at her death as a whole to a Rothschild consortium;
Gustav, Baron de Rothschild (1829-1911), Paris, to his brother;
Edmond James de Rothschild, Paris and Château Rothschild, to his daughter;
Miriam Caroline Alexandrine Rothschild, Château Rothschild, Boulogne-Billancourt, Hauts-de-Seine;
Einsatzstab Reichsleiter Rosenberg (ERR no. R857; the reverse of the card notes recovered by Allied forces, Munich Central Collecting Point, inv. no. 218);
Restituted to the Rothschild family.
Max Wasserman, Paris, 1967.
[E.V. Thaw & Co., Inc., New York, 1982, to];
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via email. Requests can also be made by fax or mail.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.
|Telephone:||(626) 449-6840 x 3300|