Painted as a gift to a household servant, this view of the Cézanne family estate outside Aix-en-Provence suggests its author’s deep connection to his birthplace and exhibits the increasingly abstract, analytical approach of his mature style. Note the short, parallel strokes that stand for leaves near the center of the composition and the spare, geometric rendering of the farmhouse itself. Rather than the family’s elegant residence, known as the Jas-de-Bouffan ("House of the Winds" in Provençal), Cézanne generally depicted the estate’s leafy grounds and modest outbuildings, including this one, which he may also have used as a studio.
- Artist Name: Paul Cézanne (French, 1839-1906)
- Title: Farmhouse and Chestnut Trees at Jas de Bouffan
- Date: 1884-1885
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dimensions: 36 1/8 x 28 11/16 in. (91.8 x 72.9 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number: M.1995.1.P
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
Fannie Toure (a servant at Jas-de-Bouffan), until 1943 to;
Private Collection, Hyères (woman who cared for Mme. Toure in her old age);
?Private Collection, Paris.
Chadourne, Paris, sold 1 April 1950 to;
[Paul Rosenberg & Co., New York, stock no. 5382-901, as Marronniers et Ferme du Jas de Bouffan, 1883-84, sold 7 May/1 October 1957 to];
Robert Ellis Simon, bequest 1969 to;
The Norton Simon Foundation, transferred 1995 to;
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
Three Centuries of French Art: Selections from The Norton Simon, Inc. Museum of Art and The Norton Simon Foundation
- California Palace of the Legion of Honor, 1973-05-03 to 1976-06-15
- Sargeant, W., Life, p. 83
- The French Impressionists in Southern California: Paintings, Sculptures and Prints in Public Collections. A Guidebook and Catalogue,
- Rewald, John, Cézanne, A Biography,fig. 57
- Rewald, John, Cézanne and Zola,
- Orienti, S.; and G. Picon, Tout l'Oeuvre peint de Cézanne, p. 124
- Selected Paintings at the Norton Simon Museum Pasadena, California, p. 118
- Rewald, John, Cézanne,pl. 60
- Rewald, John, Cézanne, A Biography, p. 14
- Rewald, John, Paul Cézanne: A Biography,pl. 60
- Brettell, Richard R. and Stephen F. Eisenman, Nineteenth-Century Art in the Norton Simon Museum, volume 1,2006,
- Rewald, John, The Paintings of Paul Cézanne: A Catalogue Raisonné,no. 595 p. 198
- Auzas, P., Peinture de Cézanne,pl. XII
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 55 p. 251
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 160
- Venturi, Lionello, Commentari,pl. XIV, fig. 51 p. 47
- Steadman, David W., The Connoisseur, p. 223
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.