An English expatriate, Sisley trained alongside Monet and Renoir in Paris during the 1860s and joined his friends in the Impressionist exhibitions of the 1870s and 1880s, where his works were distinguished by their radical economy of means. Here, portraying fresh snow in an open field, he used a few quick strokes to convey roofs and chimneys, trees silhouetted against a cloudy sky, a woman carrying a basket in the middle distance. The winter of 1872–73 was particularly severe, as the Impressionists’ pictures of towns up and down the Seine attest: snow falls on Monet’s Argenteuil; frost sparkles at Pissarro’s Pontoise. Sisley and his colleagues had settled in these places—each a short train ride from Paris—for their cheap rents and ready access to nature.
- Artist Name: Alfred Sisley (French, 1839-1899)
- Title: Louveciennes in the Snow
- Date: 1872
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dimensions: 20 x 28-3/4 in. (50.8 x 73.0 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number: M.1996.3.P
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
[Durand-Ruel, Paris, sold 17 July 1892 to];
Henri Vever (1854-1943), Paris (sale, Paris, Galerie Georges Petit, 1-2 February 1897, lot 112, as Effet de Neige, for ff. 2200 to);
Mme Rambaud (probably Raimbaud).
Mme Cancurte, Paris.
[Hector Brame, Paris, sold 25 January 1951 to];
[Arthur Tooth & Sons, Ltd., London, stock no. 2533, sold 27 February 1951 to];
Audrey E. Pleydell-Bouverie, London, by bequest to;
[David Gibbs, New York, sold 25 September 1968 to];
The Norton Simon Foundation, transferred 1996 to;
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
Recent Acquisitions by the Norton Simon, Inc. Museum of Art
- Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1969-01-24 to 1969-08-08
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum, p. 136
- Daulte, François, Alfred Sisley: catalogue raisonné de l'oeuvre peint,no. 52
- The French Impressionists in Southern California: Paintings, Sculptures and Prints in Public Collections. A Guidebook and Catalogue,
- Brettell, Richard R. and Stephen F. Eisenman, Nineteenth-Century Art in the Norton Simon Museum, volume 1,2006,
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 526 p. 308
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.