In an 1872 letter, Courbet’s sister Zoë described this picture as “a large painting, a dozen pears, apples, etc., heaped pleasingly on a table . . . Gustave is enchanted with it. He says that he never achieved such gracious effects of color.” It is among the finest still lifes Courbet painted, describing with poignant sensuality the irregular form, the scarred, lustrous skin of each fruit. But the picture is more than an exercise in “gracious effects of color”: in the lower right-hand corner, Courbet signed and dated it, adding the inscription “Sainte-Pélagie.” These words refer to the prison where the artist was detained in 1871 for his participation in a popular uprising known as the Commune.
- Artist Name: Gustave Courbet (French, 1819-1877)
- Title: Apples, Pears, and Primroses on a Table
- Date: 1871-1872
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dimensions: 23-1/2 x 28-3/4 in. (59.7 x 73 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number: M.1999.2.1.P
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
[W. Craibe Angus, Glasgow].
John Glas Sandeman, by 1878, still in 1886.
Thomas Glenn Arthur, by 1888, to;
James Arthur, by 1901.
[Ian MacNicol, Glasgow].
?Private Collection, Scotland, by 1962.
Mrs. Margaret (Leslie) Wilson by 1963, sold 30 July 1968, through;
[Ian MacNicol Galleries, Glasgow, to];
[Reid & Lefevre, Ltd., London, stock no. 141/68, as Nature Morte, Pommes, Poires et Primulas sur une table, Saint Pélagie, sold 31 October 1968 to];
[Galerie Castiglione; sold 20 December 1968 to];
[Paul Rosenberg & Co., New York; stock no. 6336, as Nature Morte, Pommes, Poires et Primulas sur une Table, 1871, sold 29 August 1969 to];
The Norton Simon Foundation, acc. no. F.1969.35.2.P, transferred 1999 to;
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
Loan Exhibition in Aid of the Royal Infirmary
- Glasgow, 1878 to
- Alex Reid & Lefevre: 1926-1976, pp. 50, 51
- Crombie, Theodore, Apollo, pp. 379, 381
- Toussaint, H., Gustave Courbet, 1819-1877, p. 189
- Arts Council of Great Britain, Gustave Courbet 1819-1877, p. 189
- Brettell, Richard R. and Stephen F. Eisenman, Nineteenth-Century Art in the Norton Simon Museum, volume 1,2006,
- Fernier, Robert, La Vie et l'Oeuvre de Gustave Courbet: Catalogue Raisonné, Peintures 1866-1877,no. 780 p. 131
- MacColl, Dugald Sutherland, Nineteenth Century Art, pp. 175, opp. p. 146
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 685 p. 327
- Nochiln, Linda; and Sarah Faunce, Courbet Reconsidered, p. 91
- Rait, Georges, Gustave Courbet, Peintre, p. 330
- Fried, M., Courbet's Realism,pl. 14 pp. 246-248
- Reid, A. J. McNeill, Scottish Art Review, pp. 2-3
- Przyblyski, J., Art Journal,fig. 1 pp. 28-37
- Daily Telegraph,
- Morse, John D., Old Master Paintings in North America,1979, p. 69
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 121
- Rewald, John, The History of Impressionism, p. 273
Additional Artwork by Artist
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.