- Lyonel Feininger (American, 1871-1956)
- Watercolor, gouache and India ink on laid paper
- 9-5/8 x 12-1/2 in. (24.4 x 31.8 cm)
- Credit Line:
- Norton Simon Museum, The Blue Four Galka Scheyer Collection
- Accession Number:
- © 2014 Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn Reproduction, including downloading of ARS works is prohibited by copyright laws and international conventions without the express written permission of Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
The buildings and figures have the same nervous, expressive lines that Feininger used in his earlier etched works. His color was applied sparingly, on a wet ground, to achieve the soft, atmospheric effects. Mellingen is a Thuringian village near Weimar. The inscription in the lower left reads: "Das Dichten ist schwer, das Malen um so mehr" [Poetry is difficult, painting more so].
Lyonel and Julia Feininger, Weimar, gift 1924 to;
Pasadena Art Institute, Pasadena, 1953-1954;
Pasadena Art Museum, Pasadena,1954-1975;
Norton Simon Museum, 1975.
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via email. Requests can also be made by fax or mail.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.
Please download the Application for Reproduction Permission form and submit it to the Office of Rights and Reproductions.
|Telephone:||(626) 449-6840 x 3300|