Black Butte Divide
- Peter Voulkos (American, 1924-2002)
- Fired clay
- 47-1/2 x 41 x 32 in. (120.7 x 104.1 x 81.3 cm)
- Credit Line:
- Norton Simon Museum, Museum Purchase
- Accession Number:
Anyone who has taken a ceramics class or is somewhat familiar with the process of making pottery will appreciate the technical and artistic innovations of Peter Voulkos (1924–2002). Far from a typical potter, Voulkos established his reputation in the 1950s by using clay to create monumental works that redefined the conventions of the medium. As founder of the Los Angeles County Art Institute’s ceramics program in 1954 and the program at University of California, Berkeley, in 1959, he also contributed to the rise of the West Coast as a major center for contemporary art.
The Museum recently installed Black Divide Butte, 1958, in the front sculpture garden. The piece consists of thrown forms joined together to create a massive and voluminous clay sculpture. Black Divide Butte was made in Voulkos’ studio on nearby Glendale Boulevard during an early experimental phase in his long artistic career, when he was most influenced by abstract expressionism. Although he continued to expand the formal boundaries that were possible with clay, Black Divide Butte remains a quintessential example of what made Voulkos the acknowledged leader of the ceramics revolution.
Peter Voulkos, sold 1958 to;
Pasadena Art Museum, Pasadena,1958-1975;
Norton Simon Museum, 1975.
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via email. Requests can also be made by fax or mail.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.
|Telephone:||(626) 449-6840 x 3300|