Couple of Laundress's Aprons
- Marcel Duchamp (French, 1887-1968)
- Fabric and fur suspended in glass and wood frame, Edition of 20
- overall: 14 x 20-7/8 x 1-3/8 in. (35.6 x 53.0 x 3.5 cm)
- Credit Line:
- Norton Simon Museum, Museum Purchase
- Accession Number:
- © 2015 Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / ADAGP, Paris / Succession Marcel Duchamp Reproduction, including downloading of ARS works is prohibited by copyright laws and international conventions without the express written permission of Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
Potholders suggest meal preparation as well as other domestic duties or traditional female activities. Duchamp altered these feminized objects in the middle and inserted overtly sexual references to establish separate gender identifications for both. Potholders such as these two were included in the deluxe edition of Boîte Alerte, the box that Duchamp designed as a supra-catalogue for the 1959 International Surrealist Exhibition in Paris. The two rectified readymades fit decidedly within the theme of that exhibition, "EROS," referring to the Greek god of love and sexual desire.
Everett Ellin Gallery, Los Angeles, sold 1963 to;
Pasadena Art Museum, Pasadena, 1963-1975
Norton Simon Museum, Pasadena, 1975.
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via email. Requests can also be made by fax or mail.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.
Please download the Application for Reproduction Permission form and submit it to the Office of Rights and Reproductions.
|Telephone:||(626) 449-6840 x 3300|