- Robert Irwin (American, 1928-)
- Acrylic lacquer on formed acrylic plastic (with central band)
- 54 in. diameter (137.2 cm)
- Credit Line:
- Norton Simon Museum, Museum Purchase, Fellows Acquisition Fund
- Accession Number:
- © 2014 Robert Irwin / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York Reproduction, including downloading of ARS works is prohibited by copyright laws and international conventions without the express written permission of Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
Irwin's disc paintings of 1966-69 erase the distinction between painting and sculpture. The subtly sprayed, convex discs are lit with low-intensity spotlights, which dematerialize their edges. Free-floating apparitions without visible support, the discs fuse with their background and the surrounding ambience. These works invite viewers to contemplate an indefinite, glowing composite of light and shadow that suggests pure energy rather than form or image.
Robert Irwin, sold 1969/05/26 to;
Fellows of the Pasadena Art Museum, given 1969/06/04 to;
Pasadena Art Museum, Pasadena, 1969-1975;
Norton Simon Museum, Pasadena.
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via email. Requests can also be made by fax or mail.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.
Please download the Application for Reproduction Permission form and submit it to the Office of Rights and Reproductions.
|Telephone:||(626) 449-6840 x 3300|