Self-Portrait in Profile
- Marcel Duchamp (French, 1887-1968)
- Color screenprint, Edition of 40, Deluxe edition published by La Hune, Paris
- 25-5/8 x 19-3/4 in. (65.1 x 50.2 cm)
- Credit Line:
- Norton Simon Museum, Gift of Mr. John Coplans in homage to Mr. Walter Hopps
- Accession Number:
- © 2015 Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / ADAGP, Paris / Succession Marcel Duchamp Reproduction, including downloading of ARS works is prohibited by copyright laws and international conventions without the express written permission of Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
Originally, Duchamp created his "Self-Portrait in Profile" to accompany the deluxe edition of Robert Lebel's monograph on the artist, "Sur Marcel Duchamp," printed in Paris in 1959. In May of that year, the bookstore Librarie La Hune hosted a party to a celebrate the book's release. Duchamp agreed to allow his self-portrait to be reproduced as a poster to promote the event, and he signed 40 copies printed without the poster text.
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via email. Requests can also be made by fax or mail.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.
|Telephone:||(626) 449-6840 x 3300|