The theme of bathing women, a constant in Degas’s oeuvre, is almost always identified with the world of the prostitute. This enchanting monotype, however, provides clues to the contrary. The woman leaving the bath, for example, is assisted by a maid. Although the woman is unclothed, her position facing away from the viewer suggests a modesty that is absent from Degas’s unambiguous brothel scenes. The crammed but carefully arranged interior is appointed with furnishings indicative of an inhabitant of a higher social class, and the light coming from the window indicates daytime rather than the shadows of night.
- Artist Name: Edgar Degas (French, 1834-1917)
- Title: Woman Getting out of Her Bath
- Date: c. 1876-1877
- Medium: Pastel over monotype on laid paper
- Dimensions: 6-11/16 x 8-11/16 in. (17 x 22 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number: M.1978.26.P
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
[Leicester Galleries, London, by 1923].
Jules Strauss, Paris (sale, Paris, Galerie Georges Petit, 15 December 1932, lot 14, as Femme sortant du bain, to);
[Galerie Druet, Paris].
Paul de Laboulaye, Paris, by 1937.
[Galerie Druet, Paris, by 1946].
[Sam Salz, New York, sold 18 May 1960 to];
Erich Maria Remarque (1898-1970), Porto Ronco, in exchange for a Delacroix. By inheritance to his wife;
Paulette Goddard, sold 1978 to;
[Walter Feilchenfeldt, Zurich; offered 10 July 1978 and subsequently sold 21 October 1978 to];
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
Edgar Degas 1837-1917. Exposition organisée au profit de la Société des Amis du Louvre_1
- Paris, Galerie Durand-Ruel, 1960-06-09 to 1960-10-01
- Wildenstein, D., Gazette des Beaux-Arts,no. 77 p. 43
- Lemoisne, Paul-André, Degas et son oeuvre,no. 423 p. 233
- Brettell, Richard, Monet to Moore: the Millennium Gift of the Sara Lee Corporation,no. 10 p. 31
- Russoli, Franco; and Fiorella Minervino, L'opera completa di Degas,no. 428 p. 106
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 150
- Thomson, Richard, Degas: The Nudes,pl. 82
- Campbell, Sara et al., Degas in the Norton Simon Museum,2009, Fig. 10 pp. 44, 125
- Janis, Eugenia Parry, Degas Monotypes,no. 174
- Museum of Modern Art, Edgar Degas: A Strange New Beauty,2016, Figure 9 p. #27
- Meier-Graefe, Julius, Degas,pl. LXVIII
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 1548 p. 419
- Meier-Graefe, Julius, Degas,pl. 69
Additional Artwork by Artist
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.