Clearly influenced by Japanese art and fashion, the fan motif was adopted by many of the Impressionist painters. Degas' oeuvre includes twenty-five fans; many were completed in anticipation of the 1879 Indépendents exhibition, which had a room dedicated solely to fans. Ultimately, Degas had five fans in the exhibition.
- Artist Name: Edgar Degas (French, 1834-1917)
- Title: Fan: Dancers on the Stage
- Date: c. 1879
- Medium: Pastel with ink and wash on paper
- Dimensions: comp: 13-7/8 x 24-1/4 in. (35.2 x 61.6 cm); mount: 15-7/8 x 25-1/4 in. (40.3 x 64.1 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number: M.1978.27.P
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
[Durand-Ruel, Paris, stock no. 6190, sold for f. 10,000 on 20 May 1911 to];
Gustave Pellet, Paris, by inheritance to;
Maurice Exsteens, Paris, by 1933 – still in 1952.
Private collection, London.
(sale, London, Sotheby’s, 28 June 1972, lot 25d, as Danseuses sur la Scène);
[Galerie Beyeler, Basel, offered 19 July 1978 and subsequently sold 2 November 1978 to];
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
Exposition du Pastel Français du XVII Siècle à nos jours, Au profit des Cercles Rosnard et Henri Heine
- Paris, Galerie A.J. Seligmann, 1933-11-18 to 1933-12-09
- Russoli, Franco; and Fiorella Minervino, L'opera completa di Degas, pp. 111-112
- Keller, Horst, Edgar Degas,fig. 98
- Cooper, Douglas, Pastels by Edgar Degas,no. 16
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 144
- Campbell, Sara et al., Degas in the Norton Simon Museum,2009, Fig. 16 p. 155
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 1550 p. 420
- Lemoisne, Paul-André, Degas et son oeuvre,no. 563
Additional Artwork by Artist
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.