Like Sérusier, Vuillard, and Denis, Lacombe was a member of the Nabi brotherhood, a group of artists who drew inspiration from Gauguin and the Synthetists, producing pictures organized around the abstract principles of pattern, color, and surface. This large canvas was meant to represent autumn in a never-completed suite of the seasons destined for the home of the artist’s mother-in-law. The repeating pattern of fallen chestnuts and golden leaves creates an almost musical rhythm, complemented by the dance-like movements of the gatherers, arranged in a graceful frieze. The Nabis increasingly regarded large-scale decorative painting as the highest calling of art.
- Artist Name: Georges Lacombe (French, 1868-1916)
- Title: Autumn: The Chestnut Gatherers
- Date: 1894
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dimensions: 60-1/8 x 93-1/8 in. (152.7 x 236.5 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number: M.1979.35.P
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
Lucien Besnard (d. 1955), Aleçon, by inheritance to;
Mme. Sanlaville (née Besnard);
Mmes. Sylvie Mora and Maldan-Lacombe by 1966.
[Oscar Ghez/Modern Art Foundation, Geneva, by 1966 (sale, London, Sotheby’s, 4 July 1979, lot 231, ill., as Les Ramasseuses de Marrons, to)];
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
Les indépendants à Belle Epoque. Rétrospective 1895-1901
- Paris, 1966 to 1966
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 1617 p. 427
- Hutton, J. G., Neo-Impressionism and the Search for Solid Ground, p. 167
- Joly, G., L'Aurore,
- Ansieau, Jöelle, Georges Lacombe 1868-1916: Catalogue Raisonné, pp. 11, 69-71
- Hazanm, F., Dictionaire universel de l'art et des artistes, p. 343
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 170
- Huyghe, René, L'art et le monde moderne, p. 133
- Musee Lambinet, Versailles, artistic life, literary and worldly, 1889-1939, pp. 98-99, 115
- Frèches-Thory, Claire; and Antoine Terrasse, The Nabis: Bonnard, Vuillard, and Their Circle, p. 151
- Brettell, Richard R. and Stephen F. Eisenman, Nineteenth-Century Art in the Norton Simon Museum, volume 1,2006,
- Salmon Blandine; and Olivier Meslay, Georges Lacombe: Sculptures, Peintures, Dessins, p. 46
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.