Although Pissarro was primarily a landscape painter, he produced an important group of market scenes portraying peasants in dramatic close-up. Here, a woman selling eggs at the artist’s local poultry market stands with her back to us, on the lookout for her next customer. Painted with the bright colors and palpitating brushwork of Pissarro’s late Impressionist style, the picture is insistently modern and insists on the modernity of the people it represents. Whereas earlier painters had depicted French peasants as figures outside of time, mystically united with the land, Pissarro painted them as his neighbors, working to feed their families as he did to feed his own.
- Artist Name: Camille Pissarro (French, 1830-1903)
- Title: The Poultry Market at Pontoise
- Date: 1882
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dimensions: 31-7/8 x 25-5/8 in. (81 x 65.1 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number: M.1984.2.P
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
[Boussod & Valadon (Theo van Gogh), Paris, sold same day 15 December 1887 to];
[Bernheim Jeune, Paris, ca. October, 1916, sold 14 March 1922 to].
[Durand-Ruel, Paris, sold 20 February 1923 to];
Albert Poullot, Paris, still in 1930.
[Jacques Dubourg, Paris, by 1937, still in 1938].
[C. W. Kraushaar Art Galleries, New York, in 1939-still in 1942].
Mlle. Janine Darrigol, Paris, by 1956 until at least 1962.
[Galerie Schmit, Paris, sold 6 November 1967, as La Marché à la volaille Pontoise, to];
Norton Simon; acc. no. N.67.6.P; sold 28 January 1981 to;
[E. V. Thaw & Co., New York].
[Acquavella Galleries, Inc., New York, sold 3 December 1984, as The Market at Pontoise, to];
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
Paintings and Drawings by Camille Pissarro
- London, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1937-11 to 1937-11
- Kunstmuseum Basel, Camille Pissarro: The Studio of Modernism,2021, fig. 7 p. 117 ; p. 116 (ill.)
- Charensol, Georges, L'art Vivant, p. 188
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 137
- Lloyd, Christopher, Camille Pissarro, p. 91
- Édouard-Joseph, René, Dictionnaire biographique des artistes contemporaines 1910-1930, p. 144
- Joachim Pissarro, Claire Durand-Ruel, Catalogue raisonne de Camille Pissarro - peintures,2005, Plate 682 p. 456
- Architectural Digest, p. 111
- Pissarro, Ludovic Rodo; and Lionello Venturi, Camille Pissarro: son art-son oeuvre,vol. I, no. 576; vol. II, pl. 120
- Brettell, Richard R; and Anne-Brigitte Fonsmark, Gauguin and Impressionism,2005, fig. 131 p. 172
- Schirrmeister, Anne, Camille Pissarro,fig. 9
- Venturi, Lionello, Les archives de l'Impressionisme, p. 62
- Brettell, Richard R. and Stephen F. Eisenman, Nineteenth-Century Art in the Norton Simon Museum, volume 1,2006,
- Brettel, Richard R., Pissarro and Pontoise, pp. 25-28
- Cogniat, Raymond, Pissarro, p. 39
- Brettell, Richard R., Pissarro's People,2011, Fig. 174 p. 227
- Pissarro, Joachim, Camille Pissarro,no. 247 p. 208
- Lloyd, Christopher, Pissarro,fig. 28 pp. 7, 15
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 397 p. 293
- Selected Paintings at the Norton Simon Museum Pasadena, California, p. 101
- Jirat-Wasiutynski, Vojtech; and H. Travers Newton, Jr., Technique and Meaning in the Paintings of Paul Gauguin,no. 30 pp. 71, 73
- Shikes, Ralph E.; and Paula Harper, Pissarro: His Life and Work, p. 157
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.