Renoir studied alongside Monet, Bazille, Sisley, and Fantin in the studio of Charles Gleyre, a classical history painter. But like his classmates, Renoir quickly evolved his own more modern style, exemplified in this still life of lilacs, jonquils, and apple blossoms: an explosion of brief, shimmering strokes applied wet into wet. A founding member of the Impressionist movement, Renoir exhibited his work both in the group’s independent exhibitions and at the annual Paris Salon.
- Artist Name: Pierre-Auguste Renoir (French, 1841-1919)
- Title: Bouquet of Lilacs
- Date: 1875-1880
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dimensions: 21-1/4 x 25-3/4 in. (54 x 65.4 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation, from the Estate of Jennifer Jones Simon
- Accession Number: M.2010.1.193.P
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
[Durand-Ruel, Paris, stock no. 1072 (also D-R stock no. 1138 in 1891), sold 26 May 1897 to];
[Durand-Ruel, New York, stock no. 1720, resold 22 September 1936 to];
[Durand-Ruel, Paris, stock no. 13766, sold 22 September 1936 (same day) to];
Mme. de la Chapelle, Paris, sold September 1936, through [illegible in Knoedler stock book], to;
[M. Knoedler & Co., New York, stock no. A1740, owned jointly with L. Carré, Paris, sold 4 February 1937 to];
Dorothy Willard, New York, sold 19 December 1950 to;
[M. Knoedler & Co., New York, stock no. A4473, sold 13 February 1957 to];
Mrs. Ralph J. Hines, Southampton, Long Island, New York.
Mrs. Joan F. Thayer, Cambridge, by 1961.
[E.V. Thaw & Co., Inc., sold 10 January 1979 to];
Norton Simon, by bequest to;
Jennifer Jones Simon Art Trust, to;
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
Exhibitions of Paintings by Renoir
- Galerie Durand-Ruel (New York, N.Y.), 1914-02-07 to 1914-02-21
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, Portfolio of Flower Pictures,
- Dauberville, Guy-Patrice and Michel Dauberville, Renoir: Catalogue Raisonné des Tableaux, Pastels, Dessins et Aquarelles,2007, cat. 27 p. 127
- Brettell, Richard R. and Stephen F. Eisenman, Nineteenth-Century Art in the Norton Simon Museum, volume 1,2006, cat. 90 pp. 346-349; p.347 ill.; 348 ill.
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 1584 p. 424
- Whelan, Richard, Impressionist Flowers: Art of the Bouguet,1998, pp. 84-85
Additional Artwork by Artist
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.