"Tree of Houses" typifies Klee's experiments with a variety of materials and techniques. In this case, he has painted over strips of gauze and paper, creating a rich, tactile surface. A fanciful apartment complex emerges out of a forest, its various levels connected by ladders. Below, a solitary figure begins his ascent.
- Artist Name: Paul Klee (Swiss, 1879-1940)
- Title: The Tree of Houses
- Date: 1918
- Medium: Watercolor, gouache and India ink on chalk-primed gauze on wove papers, mounted on cardboard
- Dimensions: comp: 8-5/8 x 7-1/4 in. (21.9 x 18.4 cm); mount: 9-5/8 x 7-7/8 in. (24.4 x 20.0 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Museum, The Blue Four Galka Scheyer Collection
- Accession Number: P.1953.025
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Museum
[Galerie Der Strum, Berlin, probably sold c. 1919 to];
[Stadtsyndicus a.D. Kauth, Berlin, sold c. 1925 to];
Pasadena Art Institute, Pasadena, 1953-1954;
Pasadena Art Museum, Pasadena,1954-1975;
Norton Simon Museum, 1975.
Paul Klee, Johannes Molzahn, Kurt Schwitters
- Der Sturm, 1919-01 to
- Ponente, Nello, Klee, pp. 54, 61, 62
- Paul Klee Catalogue Raisonné, Volume 2, 1913-1918,no. 1930
- Barnett, Vivian Endicott, The Blue Four Collection at the Norton Simon Museum,no. 303 pp. 268-270; cover
- Kröll, Christina, Die Bildtitel Paul Klees: Eine Studie zur Beziehung von Bild und Sprache in der Kunst des zwanzigsten Jarhrjunderts, pp. 90, 93, 172, 175, 176
- Paul Klee, p. 7
- Sylvie Charriere, A Fleur de Mots (third edition), p. 21
- Rosenthal, Mark, Arts Magazine, p. 111
- Kersten, Wolfgang, Paul Klee: "Zerstörung der Konstruction zuliebe?", pp. 44, 45-47, 55-56, 63, 96, 137, 138, 140, 154
- Anger, Jenny, Paul Klee and The Decorative in Modern Art,fig. 41 pp. 109-110
- Jordan, Jim M., Paul Klee and Cubism, p. 165
- Jollos, Waldemar, Das Kunsblatt, p. 227
- The Blue Four Galka Scheyer Collection, Norton Simon Museum of Art at Pasadena,no. 258 pp. 99, 102
- Henry, Sara Lynn, Pantheon,fig. 6 p. 151
- Hildebrandt, Hans, Die Kunst des 19. und 12. Jarhunderts, p. 422
- Grohmann, Will, Paul Klee, p. 200
- Werckmeister, O. K., The Making of Paul Klee's Career, 1914-1920, pp. 112, 113, 115, 117, 136
- Salz, Peter, German Expressionist Painting,fig. 136 p. 296
- Huggler, Max, The Drawings of Paul Klee, p. 25
- Kersten, Wolfgang and Osamu Okuda, Paul Klee: Im Zeichen der Teilung, p. 58
Additional Artwork by Artist
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.