Like many of the artists who moved to Los Angeles in the 1950s, Edward Ruscha was born and raised in the Midwest. His sardonic wit, developed during his childhood in Oklahoma City, joined with his hard-edge technique and vernacular subject matter to make him a leader of California Pop Art in the 1960s. As with Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein, his East Coast counterparts, Ruscha’s artistic training was rooted in commercial art. His interest in words and typography ultimately provided the primary subject of his paintings, prints and photographs. In Annie, Poured from Maple Syrup, the artist takes a widely recognizable text-subject, and with impeccable execution, offers a surreal and humorous slant on a word from contemporary popular culture.
- Artist Name: Ed Ruscha (American, 1937-)
- Title: Annie, Poured from Maple Syrup
- Date: 1966
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dimensions: 55 x 59 in. (139.7 x 149.9 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Museum, Gift of the Men's Committee
- Accession Number: P.1966.06
- Copyright: © 2012 Edward Ruscha
Men's Committee of the Membership Council, Pasadena, gift 1966 to;
Pasadena Art Museum, Pasadena, 1966-1975;
Norton Simon Museum, Pasadena, 1975.
American Pop Art
- Whitney Museum of American Art, 1974-04-05 to 1974-06-16
- Los Angeles Times, p. 2
- Bois, Yves-Alain, Edward Ruscha: Romance with Liquids, Paintings 1966-69, pp. 21-22, 43
- Blum, Irving, Ferus, pp. 106-7
- Pasadena Art Museum Calendar of Events,
- Livingston, Mark, The Pop '60s Transatlantic Crossing,no. 63 p. 99
- Blum, Irving, Ferus (reprint),2009, pp. 106-7
- Pasadena Art Museum, Calendar,
- Armory Center for the Arts/Art Center College of Design, Radical Past: Contemporary Art & Music in Pasadena, 1960-1974, p. 46, cover
- Knight, Christopher, Los Angeles Times, p. 5
- Christie's East, NY, Modern and Contemporary Art, pp. 58-59
- Bourdon, David, Art International, p. 26
- Alloway, Lawrence, American Pop Art,no. 34 p. 40
- Pop Art: U.S./U.K. Connections 1956-1966,no. 57 p. 222-223
- Bourdon, David, Visible Language, cover
- Register, Kathy, Pasadena Star-News, pp. A-1, A-5
- Los Angeles Times, p. 5
- Bijutsu Techo,
- Register, Kathy, Pasadena Star News, p. A-5
Additional Artwork by Artist
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.