Though the identity of this woman remains unknown, she embodies Renoir’s ideal parisienne—young, pretty, and smartly dressed. In the mid, 1870s, working toward his celebrated multi-figure composition Ball at the Moulin de la Galette (today in the Musée d’Orsay), Renoir produced dozens of small studies like this one. He often gave them away to his friends, perhaps including Eugène Murer, the painting’s first owner, who described it as, as “modiste à la marguerite, adorable petite tête” (“dressmaker with a daisy, adorable little head”).
- Artist Name: Pierre-Auguste Renoir (French, 1841-1919)
- Title: Young Woman in Black
- Date: c. 1875-1877
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dimensions: 13-1/8 x 10 in. (33.3 x 25.4 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation, from the Estate of Jennifer Jones Simon
- Accession Number: M.2010.1.3.P
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
George Viau, Paris (sale, Paris, Galeries Durand-Ruel, 4 March 1907, lot 66, as Jeune Femme, for Ff 4,100, to);
[Bernheim-Jeune, Paris, to];
Paul Harth, Paris, sold 15 June 1938 for 300,000 fr. to;
[Bernheim-Jeune, Paris, stock no. 26,935, photo no. 8702, sold 31 December 1938 for 400,000 fr. to];
[Reid & Lefevre, London].
[Galerie Étienne Bignou, Paris].
William A. Cargill, Carruth, Scotland (sale, London, Sotheby’s, 11 June 1963, lot 36, as Portrait de jeune femme en noir, to);
[Arthur Tooth & Sons, Ltd., for];
Norton Simon, by bequest to;
Jennifer Jones Simon Art Trust, to;
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
Three Centuries of French Art: Selections from The Norton Simon, Inc. Museum of Art and The Norton Simon Foundation
- California Palace of the Legion of Honor, 1973-05-03 to 1976-06-15
- Brettell, Richard R. and Stephen F. Eisenman, Nineteenth-Century Art in the Norton Simon Museum, volume 1,2006,
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 142 p. 262
- Alexis, Paul; and Trublot, Le Cri du Peuple,no. 39
- Gachet, Paul, Deux amis des Impressionnistes: Le docteur Gachet et Murer, p. 171
- Daulte, François, Auguste Renoir: Catalogue raisonné de l'oeuvre peint,no. 165
- Dauberville, Guy-Patrice and Michel Dauberville, Renoir: Catalogue Raisonné des Tableaux, Pastels, Dessins et Aquarelles,2007, cat. 335 p. 371
Additional Artwork by Artist
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.