With Bird in Space, Constantin Brancusi wanted to "fill the vault of the sky." Made of polished bronze, the sculpture expands and undulates upward from its narrow base to form a smooth and round center before tapering to a point at its top. Its golden, metallic surface reflects all of its surroundings, including any fleeting impressions of movement in the galleries. “All my life,” Brancusi said,“ I have only sought the essence of flight. Flight—what bliss!”
- Stand in the pose of Bird in Space, stretch your arms up and look towards the sky.
- Take a deep breath in and a deep breath out.
- Begin to feel the lightness of your body.
- Gently curve to one side.
- Embody the essence of flight and shine