French artist Claude Lorrain absorbed nature by sketching outdoors, studying the changing effects of light and transcribing them in a way that was unique to his time. Here, Claude creates a tranquil atmosphere of a lush landscape in the early morning light where we can almost hear the sounds of nature and of the piping shepherd guarding his flock.
Take a moment to bring all your awareness to listening.
- Find a seat outside or by an open window, close your eyes and take a few deep breaths.
- Begin to notice the different sounds around you.
- Notice the loudness, the softness or the rhythm of what you hear.
- As you listen carefully, what do you notice?
- We can also practice this same careful listening with others and with ourselves.
- Take a deep breath in and deep breath out and listen.