A leading figure of the Barbizon School of French Landscape painting, Théodore Rousseau excelled in rendering effects of light and atmosphere. Here, the morning sun casts warmth on the country landscape, creating long shadows in the foreground. A fisherman and his dog walk away from the water with their morning catch, and the trees fade into the background with the dissipating fog.
Practice a walking meditation as a way to focus on the present moment, to release any tension in your body and to invite calm and connectedness.
- Find a path outside (or favorite room or hallway inside) where you can walk slowly and comfortably
- Stand with feet planted to the ground with arms naturally at your sides
- With each inhale, take 2 steps
- With each exhale, take 3 steps
- Notice the sensation of each foot as it lifts off the ground and comes down
- Notice your breath becoming slower and more relaxed
- Find peace in every step