Art of the Renaissance: The Madonna and Child
Educator Jessie Fontana-Maisel explores the art of the Renaissance with Giovanni di Paolo's Branchini Madonna (1427) and Raphael's Madonna and Child with Book (c. 1502–03).
The series Spotlight on Art: Videos for Schools offers a closer look at objects from the Norton Simon collections. Featuring 2 to 3 artworks, each video is designed to encourage prolonged looking, reflection and discussion, while also including information about the artist and historical context. What’s more, the series provides an ongoing connection to the Museum for teachers and students from afar. We encourage you to use these videos in combination with our curriculum packets, activity lesson plans, and other related materials provided in the links below.
- Watch: Examining Giovanni di Paolo's Branchini Madonna
- Watch: Raphael's Madonna and Child with Book
- Curriculum Packet: Highlights of the Collection
- Giovanni di Paolo:
- Getty Museum: The Shimmer of Gold: Giovanni di Paolo in Renaissance Siena
- Getty's The Iris: Giovanni di Paolo’s Shimmering Worlds on Parchment and Panel