Elements of Art: Modern Art
Educator Hanna Meshell explores the elements of art in Vincent van Gogh's The Mulberry Tree (1889) and Pablo Picasso's Woman with a Book (1932).
The series Spotlight on Art: Videos for Schools offers a closer look at objects from the Norton Simon collections. Featuring 2 to 3 artworks, each video is designed to encourage prolonged looking, reflection and discussion, while also including information about the artist and historical context. What’s more, the series provides an ongoing connection to the Museum for teachers and students from afar. We encourage you to use these videos in combination with our curriculum packets, activity lesson plans, and other related materials provided in the links below.
- Read & Watch: In Focus: Picasso
- Curriculum Packet: Elements of Art
- Curriculum Packet: Highlights of the Collection
- Van Gogh
- Van Gogh Museum: Discover the Life and Work of Van Gogh
- Van Gogh Museum: Van Gogh: The Letters
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art: Van Gogh biography