Elements of Art: Pre-Modern Art
Educator and Teaching Artist Beatriz Jaramillo discusses the elements of art in Francisco de Zurbarán's Still Life with Lemons, Oranges and a Rose (1633) and Jacopo Bassano's Flight into Egypt (c. 1544-45).
The series Spotlight on Art: Videos for Schools offers a closer look at objects from the Norton Simon collections. Featuring 2 to 3 artworks, each video is designed to encourage prolonged looking, reflection and discussion, while also including information about the artist and historical context. What’s more, the series provides an ongoing connection to the Museum for teachers and students from afar. We encourage you to use these videos in combination with our curriculum packets, activity lesson plans, and other related materials provided in the links below.
- Watch: Zurbarán's Still Life with Lemons, Oranges and a Rose
- Watch: Bassano's The Flight into Egypt
- Curriculum Packet: Elements of Art
- Curriculum Packet: Highlights of the Collection
- The National Gallery, London: Francisco de Zurbarán
- The National Gallery, London: A Cup of Water and a Rose
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art: Zurbarán
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art: Jacopo dal Ponte, called Bassano