Boudin was the great painter of Normandy’s beach resorts: the casinos and grand hotels of Trouville and Deauville that sprang into being once the railway reached the sea. Working rapidly and outdoors, he captured vacationing Parisians in changing coastal light. Boudin’s fascination with changeability, whether of fashion or the weather, anticipated the Impressionist movement, inspiring Monet’s and Renoir’s first forays into outdoor painting.
- Artist Name: Louis-Eugène Boudin (French, 1824-1898)
- Title: Beach at Trouville
- Date: 1873
- Medium: Oil on panel
- Dimensions: 8-1/4 x 16-1/4 in. (21.0 x 41.3 cm)
- Credit Line: The Norton Simon Foundation
- Accession Number: F.1968.10.P
- Copyright: © The Norton Simon Foundation
?Private Collection, Paris.
?Georges Meyer-Heine, Marseille, sold 5 June 1957 to;
[Galerie Alfred Daber, Paris, sold 17 April 1968 to];
[M. Knoedler & Co., New York, stock no. A9243, as Beach Scene, sold 5 June 1968 to];
The Norton Simon Foundation.
Small Loan Exhibition from the Norton Simon Foundation Collection and the Hunt Museum of Art
- Kansas City, The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, 1968-09 to 1968-12
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 134
- The French Impressionists in Southern California: Paintings, Sculptures and Prints in Public Collections. A Guidebook and Catalogue, pp. 17-18
- Graham, F. Lanier, Three Centuries of French Art,no. 34
- Brettell, Richard R. and Stephen F. Eisenman, Nineteenth-Century Art in the Norton Simon Museum, volume 1,2006,
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 469 p. 301
- Le Foll, Joséphine, L'impressionnisme,2020, none pp. 134-135
- Schmit, Robert, Eugène Boudin 1824-1898,no. 848, as Scène de plage à Trouville. p. 301
- Ritchie, Robert C., The Lure of the Beach,2021, Figure 7.5 p. 185 (ill.)
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.