At the turn of the twentieth century, the Place Clichy marked the heart of Parisian bohemia. Located in the north of the city, at the foot of Montmartre, the square was a hub for nightlife and progressive art, surrounded by cafés and studios—including Bonnard’s own, just around the corner in the rue de Douai. In the three compositions that form this triptych, he portrayed the square in spring or summer, bustling with pedestrians, delivery carts, and an omnibus, at left. This work belongs to a series of seven triptychs representing the same neighborhood at various times of day, which Bonnard painted for his friend and dealer Jos Hessel.
- Artist Name: Pierre Bonnard (French, 1867-1947)
- Title: The Place Clichy, Paris
- Date: 1900
- Medium: Oil on cardboard (triptych)
- Dimensions: 13-3/4 x 38-3/4 in. (34.9 x 98.4 cm)
- Credit Line: The Norton Simon Foundation
- Accession Number: F.1969.09.P
- Copyright: © The Norton Simon Foundation
Private Collection, France.
Daniel Varenne, sold 30 July 1968 to;
[Hirschl & Adler Galleries Inc., New York, consigned 21 August 1968 to];
Norton Simon, returned 6 September 1968 to;
[Hirschl & Adler Galleries Inc., New York, consigned 5 October 1968 to];
Dick [probably Jack R. Dick, Greenwich, Connecticut, returned 17 October 1968 to;
[Hirschl & Adler Galleries Inc., New York, consigned [center panel only] 20 November 1968 to];
Benjamin E. Bensinger, Chicago, returned 22 November 1968 to;
[Hirschl & Adler Galleries Inc., New York, consigned 22 November 1968 to];
Daniel Varenne, returned 26 November 1968 to;
[Hirschl & Adler Galleries Inc., New York, consigned 7 December 1968 to];
Ezra Zilkha, New York, returned 13 December 1968 to;
[Hirschl & Adler Galleries Inc., New York, stock no. 5342, sold 7 May 1969 to];
The Norton Simon Foundation.
- Phoenix, Phoenix Art Museum, 1969-08-18 to 1969-11-19
- The French Impressionists in Southern California: Paintings, Sculptures, and Prints in Public Collections. A Guidebook and Catalogue,
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 172
- Oakland Museum, Art Treasures in California: An exhibition of master paintings from museums and public collections in California,no. 11
- California Palace of the Legion of Honor, Three Centuries of French Art,no. 50
- Brettell, Richard R. and Stephen F. Eisenman, Nineteenth-Century Art in the Norton Simon Museum, volume 1,2006,
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 633 p. 321
- Dauberville, Jean; and Henry Dauberville, Bonnard: Catalogue raisonné de l'oeuvre peint, 1888-1905,no. 237 p. 241
Additional Artwork by Artist
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.