Van Gogh’s father was a Protestant minister; the artist himself had studied theology and pursued missionary work briefly before settling with his parents in the vicarage of a remote Dutch town in 1883. In this view across the vicarage garden, a lone figure clears a path, though the leafless bushes—or perhaps markers—at left give us pause: is this man shoveling snow, or digging a grave? From bare trees to dirty snow, to wintry, scumbled sky, the landscape is willfully, unremittingly bleak, a painted equivalent to Émile Zola’s grim Naturalist novels of the same period.
- Artist Name: Vincent van Gogh (Dutch, 1853-1890)
- Title: Winter (The Vicarage Garden under Snow)
- Date: Probably January 1885, Nuenen
- Medium: Oil on canvas, mounted to panel
- Dimensions: 23 x 31-1/8 in. (58.4 x 79.1 cm)
- Credit Line: The Norton Simon Foundation
- Accession Number: F.1969.39.2.P
- Copyright: © The Norton Simon Foundation
[Oldenzeel Art Gallery, Rotterdam].
Henricus Petrus Bremmer (1871-1956), The Hague, 1905, by descent to;
?[E.V. Thaw & Co., New York; stock no. R8106];
?[Reid & Lefevre, London];
[E. J. van Wisselingh and Co., Amsterdam; stock no. S 2589, as L’Hiver; by 1963; offered 24 September 1969 and subsequently sold 22 October 1969 to];
The Norton Simon Foundation.
Vincent van Gogh
- Liège, Musée de Beaux Arts, 1946-10 to
- Palais des beaux-arts (Brussels, Belgium), 1946-11-09 to 1946-12-19
- Mons, Musée des Beaux Arts, 1947-01 to
- Hulsker, Jan, Dageboek van Van Gogh, p. 69
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 694 p. 328
- Vanbeselaere, W., De Hollandische periode in het werk van Vincent van Gogh,no. 194 pp. 252-253, 294, 416
- 25 Great Masters of Modern Art: van Gogh,no. 5 p. 108
- Connaissance des Arts,no. 243 p. 13
- Faille, J. B. de la, The Works of Vincent van Gogh: His Paintings and Drawings,no. F194, p. 104-105, 145, 618-619 pp. 104-105, 145, 618-619
- Berger, R., Art & Technology, pp. 15, 22, 27
- Lecaldano, Paolo, L'opera completa di Van Gogh,no. 96 pp. 98-99
- Versluys, W., Vincent van Gogh, 40 photo-calographies d'après ses tableaux et dessins,no. 17
- van der Work, J., De Schetsboeken van Vincent van Gogh,no. 339 p. 290
- Rudine, W., Follies, p. 2
- Faille, J. B. de la, Vincent van Gogh,no. 209 p. 169
- Yasuda Kasai Museum of Art, Concealed van Gogh: Radiographic Images of Vincent van Gogh's Paintings in the Collection of the van Gogh Museum,under no. 4, fig. 4a
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 163
- I geni dell'arte: van Gogh, pp. 116-117
- The Complete Letters of Vincent van Gogh,no. 394 p. 349
- Brettell, Richard R. and Stephen F. Eisenman, Nineteenth-Century Art in the Norton Simon Museum, volume 1,2006,
- Steadman, David W., The Connoisseur, p. 223
- Hulsker, Jan, Van Gogh en zijn weg,no. 603, pl. 137 pp. 134, 136, 144-146
- Wilson, William, Los Angeles Times, p. 44
- Sjraar van Heugten, Van Gogh in Provence: Modernizing Tradition,2016, fig. 15 pp. 37-39
- Faille, J. B. de la, L'Oeuvre de Vincent van Gogh, catalogue raisonné,vol. I, p. 59, no. 4; vol. II, pl. L, no. 194 p. 59
- Hulsker, Jan, The Complete van Gogh: Paintings, Drawings, Sketches,no. 603, pl. 137 pp. 134, 136, 144-146
Additional Artwork by Artist
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.