Corot lived in Italy from 1825 to 1828 but painted this picture over a decade later, back in Paris, from memory and imagination. He turned for inspiration (and competition) to the 17th-century master Claude Lorrain, father of French classical landscape, who had spent his career in Italy. With its goatherd and flock, its trees, water and distant citadel all bathed in golden light, this picture is among the most compelling products of Corot’s engagement with Claude. He likely exhibited it at the Paris Salon of 1839, and although his own style took a more distinctive, modern turn in the 1840s, he remained true to the old master’s methods.
- Artist Name: Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot (French, 1796-1875)
- Title: Site in Italy
- Date: 1839
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dimensions: 21-1/4 x 32 in. (54 x 81.3 cm)
- Credit Line: The Norton Simon Foundation, Gift of Donald Ellis Simon
- Accession Number: F.1971.1.2.P
- Copyright: © The Norton Simon Foundation
Louis Sarlin, Paris, by 1910 (sale, Paris, Galerie Georges Petit, 2 March 1918, lot 8, ill., as Lac d'Italie, signed lower right; sale did not take place, sold en bloc to;)
Wilhelm Hansen, Copenhagen;
[Georges Bernheim et Cie, Paris, by 1928].
?[Paul Rosenberg, Paris].
Alphonse Kann (1868-1948), Saint Germain-en-Laye.
[Arthur Tooth & Sons, London, sold May, 1963 to;]
[E.V. Thaw & Co., New York, sold 8 July 1963 to;]
Donald Ellis Simon, Los Angeles, gift 1971 to;
The Norton Simon Foundation.
- Paris, 1839 to
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 150 p. 263
- Morse, John D., Old Master Paintings in North America,1979, p. 62
- Robaut, Alfred, L'Oeuvre de Corot,no. 371 p. 137
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 116
- Brettell, Richard R. and Stephen F. Eisenman, Nineteenth-Century Art in the Norton Simon Museum, volume 1,2006,
Additional Artwork by Artist
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.