Lievens was a student of Pieter Lastman, with whom Rembrandt also studied. In the late 1620s Lievens and Rembrandt worked closely, treating the same subjects and using the same models. Lievens lived in Antwerp from 1635 until 1643. There he came under the influence of Rubens and the Flemish landscape tradition. Although painted while Lievens was in Antwerp, this fantastic, imaginary landscape of mountains, plains and architecture, in warm tones of brown and green, appears to have been particularly inspired by examples from Rembrandt.
- Artist Name: Jan Lievens (Dutch, 1607-1674)
- Title: Panoramic Landscape
- Date: 1640
- Medium: Oil on panel
- Dimensions: 15-1/4 x 19-5/8 in. (38.7 x 49.8 cm)
- Credit Line: The Norton Simon Foundation
- Accession Number: F.1974.2.P
- Copyright: © The Norton Simon Foundation
[Newhouse Galleries, New York, stock no. 18810, jointly owned with Frederick Mont, Inc., New York, (consignment no. 61677), by 1973, sold 1974 to];
The Norton Simon Foundation.
- Cleveland Museum of Art, 1974-03-07 to 1974-12-15
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 67
- Norton Simon Museum, Selected Paintings at the Norton Simon Museum,1980, p. 62
- Wheelock, Arthur, Jan Lievens: A Dutch Master Rediscovered,2008, no ill p. 294, Cat. 42, note 1
- Sutton, Peter C., A Guide to Dutch Art in America, p. 218
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 1007 p. 362
- Sumowski, W., Gemälde der Rembrandt-Schüler,no. 75 pp. 2879, 2887, 2925
- Schneider, C., Fenway Court,fig. 9 pp. 15-16
- Schneider, C., Rembrandt's Landscapes,fig. 123
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.