Juan Rexach was one of the most important fifteenth-century painters in Valencia. His work, while firmly Spanish, contains elements from other artistic centers in Europe, particularly Flanders. The crucified Christ is painted in a style that is reminiscent of Gerard David, and the distant architecture is Northern in origin. The beautiful and typically Spanish composition of the Madonna and Child enthroned with angels became a popular subject in Valencian painting of the period. Fortunately, the late Gothic ogee arches above each compartment have been preserved. It is clear from the framing and arrangement of subjects that this must have been the top central section of a large retable.
- Artist Name: Juan Rexach (Spanish, active 1443-1484)
- Title: The Crucifixion and Madonna and Child Enthroned with Angels
- Date: c. 1465-70
- Medium: Tempera and gold leaf on panel
- Dimensions: 68-1/2 x 38-1/2 in. (174.0 x 97.8 cm)
- Credit Line: The Norton Simon Foundation
- Accession Number: F.1976.18.P
- Copyright: © The Norton Simon Foundation
Grace Nichols (later Mrs. Richard P. Strong), Boston, by 1928.
Mr. and Mrs. John G. Greene, Boston, by 1961.
[Thos. Agnew & Sons, Ltd., London, stock no. 59/74, sold 14 May 1976 to];
The Norton Simon Foundation.
Loans to Cambridge, Harvard University, Fogg Art Museum
- Fogg Art Museum, 1928 to 1928
- Fogg Art Museum, 1933 to 1933
- Fogg Art Museum, 1934 to 1935
- Fogg Art Museum, 1940 to 1940
- Fogg Art Museum, 1941 to 1947
- Post, Chandler R., History of Spanish Painting,pt. 1, fig. 26 p. 84
- Ressort, Claudie, La revue du Louvre et des Musées de France,nos. 4-5, fig. 6 pp. 255-257
- Young, Eric, The Connoisseur, p. 176
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum, p. 16
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 1384 p. 401
- Saralegui, Leandro da, Boletín de la Sociedad Española de Excursiones,pl. XI p. 57
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.