Francesco Guardi’s view of the Rialto bridge in Venice depicts the bustling atmosphere of the city’s main waterway. As the only bridge to span the Grand Canal, the Rialto was a busy intersection for merchant ships, gondolas and pedestrians. Guardi approaches the scene from a high vantage point, organizing the painting into three distinct levels of open sky, stone architecture and glistening water. Astutely observant, he translates seemingly minute details into meticulous brushstrokes of paint. From the rhythm of the billowing sails to the rippling reflections in the water, Guardi’s painting vividly captures the lively spirit of the famed floating city.
- Artist Name: Francesco Guardi (Italian, 1712-1793)
- Title: View of the Rialto, Venice, from the Grand Canal Looking North
- Date: c. 1782
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dimensions: 17 x 24-3/4 in. (43.2 x 62.9 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation, Gift of Mr. Norton Simon
- Accession Number: M.1966.10.05.P
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
[Martin Colnaghi, Guardi Gallery, Haymarket, London].
Arthur Pemberton Heywood-Lonsdale, by descent to his great-grandson;
Timothy Heywood-Lonsdale (sale, London, Christie’s, 4 December 1964, lot 71, to);
[Thos. Agnew & Sons, Ltd., London, stock 25561, sold 1964 to];
Norton Simon Collection, Los Angeles;
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
Reinstallation of Galleries: Art History of the 17th and 18th Century Gains Fresh Dimension
- Norton Simon Museum, 1993-09-02 to 1995-08-13
- Renato Miracco, Italian Treasures in the U.S. An Itinerary of Art,2014, p. #43
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 257 p. 276
- Steadman, David, Art Journal,fig. 8 p. 37
- Morassi, Antonio, Antonio e Francesco Guardi,no. 539 p. 410
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 99
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.