At the end of his life, Corot turned to figure paintings, most often portraying women posed with books or musical instruments in imaginary landscapes. Despite its wooded backdrop, this picture was plainly made in the artist’s studio; the curving outline of a chair back, painted over with greenery, is just visible above the model’s shoulder at right. Pictures of women holding musical instruments and titled La Cigale (The Grasshopper) were common in late-nineteenth-century France. Drawn from La Fontaine’s fable The Grasshopper and the Ant, the title alludes to the fate of one who (like a grasshopper) “sings all summer” instead of preparing (like an ant) for the hardships of winter. By Corot’s time, La Cigale had become a metaphor for the beautiful bohème: one who lives with no thought for the future.
- Artist Name: Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot (French, 1796-1875)
- Title: La Cigale (The Grasshopper)
- Date: 1865-1875
- Medium: Oil on panel
- Dimensions: 18-1/4 x 14-5/8 in. (46.4 x 37.2 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number: M.1975.13.1.P
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
Victor Desfossés by 1889 (sale, Paris, 26 April 1899, no. 18, for Ff 10,100, to);
[Durand-Ruel et Cie, Paris and New York, sold 5 May 1926 to];
Carl Weeks, Des Moines, Iowa (sale, New York, Sotheby’s, 26 October 1967, lot 18, to);
Mr. and Mrs. Norton Simon, Los Angeles, as part of divorce settlement, 1970, to;
Lucille Ellis Simon, Los Angeles;
[Paul Rosenberg & Co., New York, sold 14 August 1975 to];
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
- Phoenix, Phoenix Art Museum, 1975-08-08 to 1975-12-01
- Brettell, Richard R. and Stephen F. Eisenman, Nineteenth-Century Art in the Norton Simon Museum, volume 1,2006,
- Bernheim de Villers, Corot: Peintre de figures,no. 266
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 390 p. 292
- The Burlington Magazine, p. 28
- New York Times, p. 43
- Art at Auction 1967-68, pp. 120-121
- Morse, John D., Old Master Paintings in North America,1979, p. 62
- Norton, Thomas E., 100 Years of Collecting in America: The Story of Sotheby Parke-Bernet, pp. 186-187
- Zimmerman, Antje, Studien zum Figurenbild bei Corot,pl. 47 p. 352
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 114
- Robaut, Alfred, L'Oeuvre de Corot: Catalogue raisonné et illustré,no. 1566
Additional Artwork by Artist
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.