Vuillard liked to say, “I do not paint portraits. I paint people in their homes.” And indeed, pictures like this one enlist domestic surroundings to suggest their sitters’ personalities and relationships to the artist. Here casually posed in a room crowded with picture frames, Lucie Hessel was the wife of Vuillard’s dealer. She was also the artist’s friend, his confidant, his muse and, ultimately, his lover, the subject of over a hundred paintings. An inscription in the upper right-hand corner of this portrait indicates that Vuillard painted it as a gift for her.
- Artist Name: Édouard Vuillard (French, 1868-1940)
- Title: Lucie Hessel
- Date: c. 1905
- Medium: Oil on cardboard
- Dimensions: 16 x 18 in. (40.6 x 45.7 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number: M.1977.01.P
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
Louis Carré, Paris.
Vivian Prins, London.
[Lefévre Gallery, London, sold 6 January 1977 to];
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
By Day & By Night: Paris in the Belle Époque
- Norton Simon Museum, 2019-10-04 to 2020-03-02
- Bernard, Tristan, La Renaissance, p. 22
- Chastel, André, Vuillard, pp. 60, 70-71
- Wichmann, Die Kunst und das schöne Heim, pp. 354-357
- Salomon, Antoine; and Cogeval, Guy, Edouard Vuillard Catalogue Raisonne: Paintings and Pastels,fig. VII-345 p. 712
- Brettell, Richard R. and Stephen F. Eisenman, Nineteenth-Century Art in the Norton Simon Museum, volume 1,2006,
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 1395 p. 402
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 171
Additional Artwork by Artist
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.