The Norton Simon Museum is noted for its collection of Picasso's graphic works. Among them are prime examples of the artist's progressive suites -- groups of lithographs reworked several times to create a successive group of images. Outstanding among these progressive suites is the series entitled "Le Taureau," or "The Bull," a sequence of states beginning with a realistic representation of a bull and ending with a stunning simplification of that form. In this group alone, Picasso clearly demonstrates why he is both a classical master draughtsman and the revolutionary creator of modern art.
- Artist Name: Pablo Picasso (Spanish, 1881-1973)
- Title: The Bull
- Date: December 5, 1945
- Medium: Lithograph on paper
- Edition: first state
- Dimensions: 11-5/8 x 17 in. (29.5 x 43.2 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number: M.1977.08.3.01.G
- Copyright: © Estate of Pablo Picasso / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
- Mourlot, Fernand, Picasso Lithographs,no. 17
- Various authors, edited by Mark Rogián, Spanish Art in America,2016, p. 194 ; p. 195 (ill.)
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 1413 p. 404
- Fryberger, Betsy G. and Gloria Williams, Clinton Adams, David Carrier, and Pat Gilmour, Picasso: Graphic Magician, Prints from the Norton Simon Museum, p. 136
Additional Artwork by Artist
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.