This female figure, which would have decorated the exterior of a temple or monument, may represent the river goddess Ganga, who is personified as a woman.
- Title: Celestial Female
- Date: c.1100
- Medium: Sandstone
- Dimensions: 28 x 13-1/4 x 9 in. (71.1 x 33.7 x 22.9 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number: M.1977.20.2.S
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Pal, Pratapaditya, Asian Art at the Norton Simon Museum, Volume 3: Art from Sri Lanka & Southeast Asia,no. 188 pp. 226, 240-241
- McArthur, Meher, The Arts of Asia: A Guide to the Materials, Techniques and Styles, pp. 238-239
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 1456b p. 409
- Pal, Pratapaditya, Asian Art: Selections from the Norton Simon Museum,fig. 19 p. 74
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.