Dutch by birth, Matthias Stom traveled to Rome where he belonged to an important group of Caravaggisti (followers of Caravaggio) active there in the early seventeenth century. Like Caravaggio, they ranked naturalism and drama high in their pictorial subjects. "Christ Crowned with Thorns" describes a nighttime scene of torment, illuminated by a single candle. Such a device, favored by the Caravaggisti, created the strong effects of light and dark seen here. The immediacy of Christ's suffering and the cruelty of the soldiers results from the arrangement of all hands and faces directed toward the center.
- Artist Name: Matthias Stom (Dutch, c.1600-after 1651)
- Title: Christ Crowned with Thorns
- Date: c. 1633-39
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dimensions: 43-5/8 x 63-3/8 in. (110.8 x 161 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number: M.1977.25.P
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
(Anonymous sale, Paris, Hotel Drouot, 20 March 1950, lot 64, as Honthorst).
Private Collection , France, 1953.
[Chicago Art Market, 1970].
[Richard L. Feigen & Co., New York, sold 1977 to];
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
- Princeton University Art Museum, 1978-02-22 to 1979-01-08
- Pauwels, H., Gentse Bijdragen tot de Kunstgeschiedenis, pp. 151-152, 187
- Nicolson, Benedict, The Burlington Magazine,fig. 3 pp. 238, 243
- Norton Simon Museum, Selected Paintings at the Norton Simon Museum,1980, p. 58
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 1460 p. 409
- Sutton, Peter C., A Guide to Dutch Art in America, p. 219
- Nicolson, Benedict, The International Caravaggesque Movement. Lists of Pictures by Caravaggio and his Followers throughout Europe from 1590 to 1650.,fig. 3 p. 94
- Masterpieces from the Norton Simon Museum,1989, p. 51
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.