Toulouse-Lautrec lived and worked in Montmartre, a bohemian neighborhood at the northern frontier of Paris, from 1886 to 1898. Like the Moulin Rouge dance hall and the Chat Noir café, the Cirque Fernando was a fixture of Montmartre’s seedy entertainment scene and a favorite haunt of the artist. Here he portrayed an equestrian performer at the circus; with rouged cheeks and a scant skirt, she charges into the composition, riding bareback and clutching her horse’s mane. Leaving much of the cardboard support bare, the artist laid in his composition with bold, rapid strokes of pastel, reserving more careful work in wet peinture à l’essence for the rider’s costume and enigmatic expression.
- Artist Name: Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec (French, 1864-1901)
- Title: At the Cirque Fernando, Rider on a White Horse
- Date: 1887-1888
- Medium: Pastel and drained oil on board
- Dimensions: 23-5/8 x 31-1/4 in. (60 x 79.5 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number: M.1978.13.2.P
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
Antonio Santa-Marina, Buenos Aires [by 1933], (sale, London, Sotheby's, 2 April 1974, lot 23, to);
[P. & D. Colnaghi, G.M.B.H., Zurich, sold 18 May 1978 to];
Norton Simon Art Foundation.
By Day & By Night: Paris in the Belle Époque
- Norton Simon Museum, 2019-10-04 to 2020-03-02
- Joyant, Maurice, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec 1864-1901, peintre, p. 265
- Brettell, Richard R., et al., Nineteenth- and Twentieth-Century European Drawings in the Robert Lehman Collection,fig. 145.3 pp. 277-281
- Dortu, M. G., Toulouse-Lautrec et son Oeuvre,no. P315
- Brettell, Richard R. and Stephen F. Eisenman, Nineteenth-Century Art in the Norton Simon Museum, volume 1,2006,
- Stuckey, Charles, Toulouse-Lautrec: Paintings,fig. 6 p. 126
- Ireson, Nancy and Linda Wolk-Simon, Miss Lala au Cirque Fernando,2013,
- Sunset, pp. 110-113
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 1523 p. 416
- Murray, G., Toulouse-Lautrec: The Formative Years 1878-1891,fig. 89 pp. 131, 146, 148, 190-191, 246
- Thomson, Richard, Toulouse-Lautrec,fig. b p. 234
- The French Impressionists in Southern California: Paintings, Sculptures and Prints in Public Collections. A Guide Book and Catalogue, p. 78
- The Burlington Magazine,fig. 58
Additional Artwork by Artist
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.