The identity of this sculpture is uncertain because of its missing iconographical attributes and fractured state. The figure has generally been identified as the solar deity Surya because of the halo that is partially extant in addition to the octagonal miter worn by the god. This designation is, however, by no means certain as images of Vishnu and Krishna from Si Thep have similarly shaped crowns. Moreover, the short sampot worn by the figure is associated with images of Vishnu from Si Thep.
- Title: Hindu Deity
- Date: 7th century
- Medium: Sandstone
- Dimensions: overall: 45 x 17 x 7-1/2 in. (114.3 x 43.2 x 19.1 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Accession Number: M.1980.13.S
- Copyright: © Norton Simon Art Foundation
- Pal, Pratapaditya, Marg,fig. 21 pp. 74-75
- Pal, Pratapaditya, Asian Art: Selections from the Norton Simon Museum,fig. 1 pp. 60-61
- Pal, Pratapaditya, American Collectors of Asian Art,fig. 21 pp. 138 - 139
- Czuma, Stanislaw, The Bulletin of the Cleveland Museum of Art,1980, fig. 12 pp. 235-236
- Knoke, Christine, Minerva,fig. 6 p. 28
- Woodward, Hiram, Bulletin of the Indo-Pacific Prehistory Association,2010, p. 91
- Pal, Pratapaditya, Asian Art at the Norton Simon Museum, Volume 3: Art from Sri Lanka & Southeast Asia,no. 82 pp. 102-103, 112-113, 116, 179, 188
- Melody Rod-ari, Journal of the History of Collections,2015, fig. 6 p. 486
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 899; cat.1012 pp. 349, 362
- Lerner, Martin, The Connoisseur, pp. 200-201
- Campbell, Sara, Collector Without Walls: Norton Simon and His Hunt for the Best,2010, cat. 1012 p. 362
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.