This five-part marble construction gives literal form to the spiritual ideal of balance suggested by its title. In the Indian Samkhya school of philosophy, the world and human experience comprise three qualities or gunas: tamas (inertia, darkness, sloth), rajas(dynamism, passion, pain), and sattva (poise, illumination, joy). Enlightenment is attained by holding these qualities in equilibrium, a state signaled by the color white. Born in Los Angeles, Noguchi spent his childhood in Japan but made his career in Paris, serving as an apprentice to Brancusi, frequenting the Surrealists, and forging his own path as both a sculptor and a designer. A fascination with Eastern philosophies informed many of his works, like this one, whose spare, abstract forms invite contemplative—even meditative—viewing.
- Artist Name: Isamu Noguchi (American, 1904-1988)
- Title: The White Gunas (Abstract Sculpture)
- Date: 1946
- Medium: White marble, 5 units
- Dimensions: 65-1/2 x 25-1/2 x 15-1/2 in. (166.4 x 64.8 x 39.4 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Museum, Museum purchase with funds donated by the National Endowment for the Arts and the Fellows Acquisition Fund
- Accession Number: P.1974.4a-e
- Copyright: © 2018 The Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum, New York / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York Reproduction, including downloading of ARS works is prohibited by copyright laws and international conventions without the express written permission of Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
Anonymous ( Private Sale following Sotheby Parke Bernet, New York, 1 March 1972, lot 31, to);
Pasadena Art Museum, Pasadena, purchased with funds donated by the National Endowment for the Arts and the Fellows Acquisition Fund, 1974-1975;
Norton Simon Museum, Pasadena.
Important 19th and 20th Century Paintings, Drawings, and Sculpture
- New York, Sotheby Parke Bernet, 1973-04-27 to 1973-05-04
- Sotheby Parke Bernet, Inc., Important 19th and 20th Century Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture,
- Sotheby Parke Bernet, Highly Important Nineteenth and Twentieth Century Sculpture,no. 135
- The Isamu Noguchi Catalogue Raisonné,2020, 250
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.