Gwynn Murrill is a California artist whose Sitting Cheetah is the Sculpture Garden's most recent acquisition. Animals of all kinds are her favorite subjects. She has sculpted them in wood, bronze and marble. Murrill's body of work is characterized by the smoothed surfaces of her animals; she has a talent for evoking extremely life-like and striking poses from the animals while reducing their forms to the most simple and classical elements. The Sitting Cheetah is poised and alert, a strong presence in the garden.
- Artist Name: Gwynn Murrill (American, 1942-)
- Title: Sitting Cheetah
- Date: 1996
- Medium: Bronze
- Edition: Edition of 9, Cast No. 7
- Dimensions: 39-1/2 x 54-1/2 x 38 in. (100.3 x 138.4 x 96.5 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Museum, Gift of The Ernest Lieblich Foundation
- Accession Number: P.2001.01
- Copyright: © 2008 Gwynn Murrill
- Duncan, Michael, Gwynn Murrill, pp. 16-17
- Los Angeles Times,
- Murrill, Gwynn, Gwynn Murrill: Pouncing on Convention, pp. 20, 22-23
- Norton Simon Museum Members' Summer Newsletter,
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.