Wayne's fascination with the universe has been fueled by the many exciting scientific discoveries of the last half of the twentieth century, leading to her artistic investigations of such concepts as time, genetic coding, molecular energy, and the solar system. The subject of this dynamic lithograph from her "Solar Flares" series is the violent gaseous eruptions that occur on the sun's surface.
- Artist Name: June C. Wayne (American, 1918-2011)
- Title: Solar Flame
- Date: 1981
- Medium: Ink on paper
- Edition: Artist's Proof I
- Dimensions: 17-1/4 x 17-1/8 in. (43.8 x 43.4 cm)
- Credit Line: Norton Simon Museum, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. D. Robert Park
- Accession Number: P.2001.04.3
The Art of Giving: Recent Acquisitions of the Norton Simon Museum
- Norton Simon Museum, 2002-08-02 to 2002-11-04
The Universe: Creation, Constellations and the Cosmos
- Norton Simon Museum, 2001-02-04 to 2001-06-04
Additional Artwork by Artist
Image reproduction permission may be granted for scholarly or arts related commercial use. All image requests, regardless of their intended purpose, should be submitted via the reproduction request form.
Images may be protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. Additional permission may be required.
Approved requests for the reproduction of an image will receive a contract detailing all fees and conditions of use of the image. Upon receipt of both the signed contract and full payment, the Office of Rights and Reproductions will provide the image. A complimentary copy of the published material must be provided to the Norton Simon Museum.